Sunday, January 29, 2012

Handel in Vienna


Spanish Riding School (Spanische Reitschule), Wien
One morning I went to a musical festival at which there were 1100 performers. I counted myself over 300 violins! The Emperor & Royal family were all present and I should say at least 6000 spectators! It surpassed anything I have ever heard. The piece performed was Timotheus, can hardly be called [83] Opera or Oratorio, by Handel.* I shall never forget the sensation I had that morning. I did not think it possible for that number of persons to officiate at once – and everything went off most admirably.






*Actually, Alexander's Feast. This was a performance by the Gesellschaft der Musikfreunde (Society of Friends of Music) at the Spanish Riding School, home of the famed Lippizaner Stallions.

No comments:

Post a Comment